Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Letter to my kids parents

After reading this letter, I was inspired to write my own letter to my children's parents.

You know who you are :)

To the parents of my children,

I knew from a young age that I wanted to be a foster parent. I can remember playing adoption agency, and watching any movie I could about adoption or foster care, and listening to the songs "Christmas Carol," by Skip Ewing, and "The Little Girl," by John Michael Montgomery. I knew it was my calling to help children in need, and I was blessed to have a family that taught me how to love and to know unconditional love.

As a part of the requirements to become a foster parent you are required to take a class. I clearly remember the instructor saying, "This is not just a ministry to the children, but to their parents as well." At the time, those were just words to me, I did not realize how they would resonate within me.
I never imagined that I would concern myself with your feelings, much less actually worry about you. I never imagined how proud I be when you were able to get clean.

I want you to know, that while there are times when I get frustrated, or we may not see eye to eye, I can assure you, I will never say anything negative about you to your children. When your children do something cute or funny that reminds me of you, I will tell them that, and I hope that brings both, you and them some comfort. I want you to know that your children have some of your same mannerisms and sometimes sound just like you. I will never refer to you by your first name to your children. I will call you mom. I will not call you birth mom, or mamma so and so, just mom. You're their first mom, and I am happy to share that title with you. I want you to know, that your children will always have pictures of you and as long as it's healthy and we are able to, they will also have visits with you.

I will never know how you felt when you first found out you were pregnant. Were you surprised? Happy? Scared? Those are things I will never know - but what I will always be grateful for, is that in a country where you are given freedom of choice, you chose to give your precious children life, and they are all perfect, and for that I will be forever grateful.

I know you have always loved your children, and I do not think you are a bad person. I have often wondered if I had been dealt the same set of circumstances, if I would be in your same shoes. I am genuinely sorry that you were unable to get your children back. Please know that they will always love you, and I will too.

I am so very grateful for the opportunity to parent your children, and to now have the privilege of considering you my extended family.

Love,
your kids' other mom




No comments:

Post a Comment